It is possible to import your entire manuscript in one go, so you don't have to add it chapter by chapter. We currently support docx, a file format that Microsoft Word uses natively, and most other word processors can export to.
In order for BetaReader.io to understand how to parse your book, it needs to follow a few simple guidelines:
- Chapter titles should use the Heading 1 styling (not required, but it makes it possible for the platform to auto-split the document into chapters).
- The file cannot be larger than 5MB.
- The title is derived directly from the name of the file that you upload. This is easy to change afterwards, so don't worry too much about this.
We have prepared a few samples below that you can use to format your own book:
How to import
Once you've formatted your book and have it as a docx file, you:
1. Click the Import button on the dashboard.
2. This will open a window which you can click to upload, or simply drag and drop your file into.
3. Once you've selected your file, we will start to process it. Depending on the length of your manuscript, this can take up to 15 seconds, so don't click away immediately.
4. When we have finished processing the file, we will show you how we've understood the story to be segmented. A chapter list will be visible to the left of the manuscript (only on large screens), with indicators showing the relative length of each chapter. If you notice that we've missed something, you can easily cut or merge chapters before completing the import.
5. Click Complete the import
6. Done! You can now go ahead and edit your chapters, slip in some reader surveys, and invite your beta readers :)